[pmwiki-users] Site.* permissions (was: Displaying page permissions)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sat May 26 19:19:46 CDT 2007

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 09:06:42AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Option 2:  Leave the Site.* group open as it is now, but lock
> certain pages that should generally be restricted to admins.
> This would include:
>
>     Site.InterMap
>     Site.AuthUser
>     Site.AuthList
>     Site.ApprovedUrls
>     Site.Blocklist
>     Site.NotifyList
>
> This approach has the (big) advantage of being less intrusive for existing
> sites and recipes, and there don't seem to be that many pages that need
> locking.
>

> Option 3:  Introduce a new SiteAdmin group that contains pages
> specifically intended for the site administrator.  This group could
> have a read password that limits viewing to the admin by default, and
> the pages listed in option 2 would move to this new group.
>
> The downside of this approach is that it complicates upgrading a bit
> in terms of moving existing Site.* pages to the new Site group, as
> well as introducing a new group to the distribution.

I think I do prefer option 3, because it feels cleaner to me.  Yes,
there would be initial teething problems with it, but it's more...
future-proof, if you see what I mean.  I would expect that there could
be other SiteAdmin pages that were added in the future -- just take
the newly-introduced Site.AuthList as an example.

People keep running into trouble when they want to hide the Site group
from reading, and then find that they break things when they do that.
This would avoid that problem.

Would it be possible to smooth the transition to having a SiteAdmin
group by having some sort of search path, so that it would look for
those pages in Site first, and then in SiteAdmin?

As for the name of the group, I'd have a slight preference for
Site-Admin rather than SiteAdmin, because then I could use Cluster to
cluster the "Site" groups together.

Kathryn Andersen