[pmwiki-users] pagelists link= with pages generated externally

Christophe David pmwiki at christophedavid.org
Mon May 28 03:24:14 CDT 2007

> I've just updated the import.php script with an $ImportTime variable
> to indicate the maximum amount of time (in seconds) that the script should
> spend importing files.  The default is 15 seconds.

Thanks a lot for further improving this very useful recipe.

> If time expires before import has finished processing files, it attempts
> to change the timestamp of the .lastimport file so that it will continue
> processing more imports on the next browse request.  (Regardless, it will
> check things again after $ImportFreq seconds have elapsed.)

This does probably not contribute to the expected result: when you
have say 3.000 pages to import (small ones with only a few
PagetextVariables ;-) ), all visitors (or always the same visitor if
there is only one active) will have all their requests taking 15
seconds, and the CPU will be loaded as is there was no "regulation"
mechanism, possibly triggering alarms and/or problems with the hosting
company.

With the initial version of your script, I modified the loop to exit
after 5 seconds, and set $ImportFreq to 20 seconds.  This way, not all
requests appear to be slow to the visitors, and the total CPU load
cannot exceed 3 peaks of 5 seconds every minute.  Of course, it took 4
hours before all my new pages were imported, but I can live with that,
and none of the users complained (maybe we should study the psychology
of the web surfer more in detail ;-) )

In conclusion, I would suggest to reconsider the .lastimport file
"touch" when there remain files to be imported, or to make it
configurable too.

What do you think ?

Thanks again for all this.

Christophe