[pmwiki-users] registration form

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Mon May 28 09:18:07 CDT 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 10:05 AM, Ben Stallings wrote:

> Marguerite Floyd wrote,
>> Before I get myself too confused . . . am I correct that I need to
>> set
>> up a database first and then install the code for a stand-alone code?
>> What I'm trying to do is set up a registration page for user
>> information and the assign them a password.
>> The last batch of code at
>> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUserDbase#stand-alone
>> seems to
>> be what I'm looking for.  Do I paste this code into the cookbook or
>> the config file?
>
> Hi, Marguerite.  Unless you have a compelling reason to use a
> database to store registration information -- for example, because
> you want to use it in another program later -- you are better off
> not using a database at all and just using the wiki's built-in
> storage mechanisms.
>
> As for assigning passwords... I don't think AuthUserDbase does
> this; it assumes people choose their own passwords.  It is possible
> to auto-generate passwords using the ZAP recipe -- I am currently
> working on a site that does this, and furthermore uses DataQuery
> rather than AuthUserDbase to save all the registration data in a
> database -- but that may be more complex than what you need.
>
> It is very tempting when first starting out with PmWiki (or any
> other software) to modify it to match your own expectations... I've
> done that many a time.  I would encourage you to try using the
> software as it is first and see if it might not meet your needs
> without modification.
>
> Best of luck!!  --Ben

I'd like to add that the built-in authentication system works very
well if you wish to assign passwords, where AuthUserDBase does not --
the recipe works best when users are going to sign themselves up to
the website.  What AuthUserDBase does is use the built-in AuthUser
with a back-end database and gives it features that you expect from
content management systems where people can sign up, assign their own
password, and change their user information when needed.

So I would recommend PmWiki/AuthUser and I wrote up a quickstart for
AuthUser at http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/QuickStartForAuthUser
which helps you lock down your entire website from editing, and fills
in the missing how-to where the PmWiki/AuthUser page describes the
theory rather than the use itself.

Let me know if you have questions.

Crisses