[pmwiki-users] reposting re registering, etc.

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Tue May 29 20:10:39 CDT 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Marguerite Floyd wrote:

> I'm reposting in case this got lost in the shuffle.  Am I asking too
> much of pmwiki?  Or do I just not know where to look?
>
> Or should I just chuck it in and use one password for everyone and
> quit worrying myself to death about it?  Then worry about spam or
> nasty postings if/when they happen . . .
>
> PS: You folks are great; I'm almost starting to understand what's
> going on. ;-)
>
> Here's what I posted last night:
> "1. I would like anyone at all to read/view the site.

This is the default behavior.

> 2. I would like anyone who wants to edit content, put stuff on the
> calendar, or make a comment about content to register.  And while
> they're registering to click a box/button saying they've read the
> disclaimer.

This is where you confused me yesterday.  The first post I saw said
you wanted to create passwords for people.  Then I saw something
about registration.

PmWiki out-of-the-box does not have this CMS-like registration feature.

If you want this to be a site where the general public can just
register, login, and edit, then you may want to look at AuthUserDBase
again -- or ZAP as Ben suggested.  Right now PmWiki isn't handling
this type of functionality, but it probably will very soon.

If you have a limited number of people and you know who they are, you
may want to use the built-in AuthUser.

If you think people in the community in question are trustworthy,
it's only the vandals and brigands you want to keep out, I'd say a
one-password site often works just fine.  I have open-edit websites
that, with sufficient protections, are not too much of a support
nightmare.  I don't even get break-ins weekly at the moment.

> 3. I would then like a handful of people to be "editors," who have the
> authority to clean up content if necessary, remove inaccurate stuff,
> add important stuff.  These would be the same as, I guess, moderators.
>  Using Authuser I can just add those folks' names and passwords.

Yes, those are easy.  That can be done in Site.AuthUser

> But how do I deal with the folks in #2?
I'd say one password is probably sufficient.

Crisses