[pmwiki-users] GroupFooter

Maria McKinley parody at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 27 22:36:15 CST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 4:00 AM, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 2:01:41 AM, Tom Hayden wrote:
>
> > In my defense, I will observe that it is a little counter intuitive that
> > the "footer" is no different than any other page and needs to be created
> > in a similar manner, and can, in fact, be displayed as though it was a
> > "real" page.
>
> I am glad that you got to the bottom of this!
>
> Usually there is no need to edit any page file in wiki.d directory,
> nor to create page files manually.
>
> And there are many more pages like GroupFooter which are wiki pages
> but act as configuration pages, for instance lots of pages in group
> Site. GroupFooter and GroupHeader are rather more straight forward as
> any content added to them will appear as actual content in the page,
> they are just two sections of the page (indicated by the (:include..:)
> markup which defines their format).
>
> Skins can have also a number of pages which contain specific content
> applied to a section of the overall page, like Site.SideBar holding
> the (left) menu bar content.
>
> So if we talk about pages here it means usually wiki pages, not page
> files in a page store directory (like wiki.d and wikilib.d), and
> creating pages is done from within the wiki, within the browser.
> Do you think this needs to be spelled out more clearly?
>

>   ~Hans

I do. This is something that confused me when I first started using
the wiki. I didn't notice the Site Administration link that explains
stuff pretty well when I first was getting started, so iit probably
would have been useful to have an overview of how the Site pages are
used and a link to the Site Administration page on the Installation or
InitialSetupTasks page.

~maria