[pmwiki-users] 2009 WorldCon in Montreal.

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Wed Sep 5 19:13:01 CDT 2007

Some time ago I mentioned here that I was involved with some folks who were
trying to get the 2009 World Science Fiction Convention to be held in
Montreal. I'm happy to announce that they just won.

What does that have to do with PmWiki? Well, the bid site was planned to be
moved over to PmWiki (since it was hosted on my system, and its what I was
most familiar with), but I've been waiting on the core blogging routines,
which have still yet to appear.

Now, however, I'm out of time. This week we're replacing the bid site with a
WorldCon site, and we've made the decision to run it on top of PmWiki. At
first it will only need a bilingual blog but soon it will want a whole host of
convention-specific add-ons to help the convention organizers communicate,
plan and run the convention.

Now this is going to be a very ambitious project for one person, even if I
have a year before most of the features need to be in place, especially as its
not my day job.

So, if there are any folks on the list who would like to volunteer some time
and effort to helping make the 2009 WorldCon a success by doing some PmWiki
work, I would be eternally grateful. Naturally, all work will eventually show
up as public domain (or GPL) add-ons in PmWiki's cookbook section. We may even
build a specific bundle of recipes for convention running.

There /may/ even be some monetary compensation available down the line, but I
can't promise anything. WorldCon's tend to run on a shoestring, and I never
got any compensation (other than a discount on my hotel room) for the many
hours of work I did on the 2003 WorldCon's internal website. In fact, any
money that might become available in compensation is most likely to be a tiny
fraction of what the work would actually be worth if done for hire.

If you've read this far, and are still interested in possibly helping out,
please contact me!