[pmwiki-users] How to convert old FASTDATA data-pages to new ZAP

The Editor editor at fast.st
Thu Sep 6 11:38:19 CDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Georges Schutz <georges.schutz at tudor.lu> wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I have some hundreds of data pages created with the old FASTDATA recipe.
> I know FASTDATA is not maintained any more and was removed from pmwiki
> cookbook (see Cookbook/RecentChanges April 17, 2007). The follow-up
> recipe of this is ZAP if I got it right.
> ZAP seems to have a lot of additional features and will be maintained in
> the future. I did new Form based data storage using ZAP and I think it
> does all i need.
>
> But in order to be able to use the old data-pages I will have to convert
> them to the new page variable based storage format.
>
> FASTDATA format:
> ---Begin-
> (:comment data:)
>
> ContactName="xxx yyy"
>
> (:comment data:)
>
> [[#Log]]
>
> (:comment data:)
>
> ---End-
>
> ZAP format of the same data:
> ---Begin-
> (:ContactName: xxx yyy:)
> ---End-
>
> Is there anyone how can give me an idea how to do this in an intelligent
> and somehow economic way?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Georges Schutz

If you get Pm to show you, there is a way to automatically teach
PmWiki to read these old data values by assigning a new format
defnition for Page Text Variables. I forgot the syntax. But then it
will work as normal. One line in a config file. However, it will cause
two problems:

One: the old data may show up on the page unless you come up with a
custom markup that hides the old data.

Two: and more difficult. You will have data pages in various stages of
transition and a lot of left over pages as data is updated and
switched over to the new Pmwiki PTV format. So if your data is static,
it will work, but if not, you'll be ending up with a lot of clutter on
the pages you don't need (but won't see).

So a script that would convert the pages would be best, and not hard
to write for ZAP. But depends on how into coding you are.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dan