[pmwiki-users] AuthUser and an external DB

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 07:12:06 CDT 2007

On 9/10/07, Jeff Brown <sparks at ts4b.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to PmWiki. Trying to get AuthUser to authenticate against a forum
> database. I want only my forum members to edit wiki pages. For a couple
> reasons, I am not using AuthUserDB, I am calling the PHP ODBC module directly.

I'm curious why not? I originally authored that recipe (actually
AuthUserDbase) specifically to tie into PHP/MySQL-based bulletin
boards (e.g. PunBB). So, it seems that that recipe should work for
you. I know there was a plan to improve the AuthUserDbase but I've
lost track of that effort.[1]

> I've written a script (based on AuthUserBBPress) which queries my database
> and returns true/false on user, pswd challenge.  This code is at the end of
> this email. I've tested this script on it's own and it works.

That sounds like the identical functionality of AuthUserDB.[2]

> Do I need something on my Site.AuthUser page to tell AuthUser how to call
> my script, snitzauth.php?

What you'll need to do is link your authentication interface to
AuthUser. I wish I could explain in greater detail how to do that, but
I can't right now. If you look at scripts/authuser.php, you will see
how Patrick adds authentication functions. There is a stub for
MySQL-based authentication. AuthUserDbase should also point the way to
tie in the MySQL database to AuthUserDbase.

Might I suggest instead our working together to identify problems with
AuthUserDbase and fixing them?

--
Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" Churchill

[1]: http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUserDbase
[2]: id.