[pmwiki-users] Caps in profile names

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 27 18:46:37 CDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 06:29:00PM -0400, Jeff Brown wrote:
> A couple questions about creating and editing profiles...
>
> I'm using AuthUser. In config I have: $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = 'id:*';
>
> It seems like:
>
> 1) Profile names must have an initial cap, but that can be followed with
> other caps.
> 2) Username entered in the logon challenge must match the case of the
> profile for creation and later edits.
>
> Is there any way to change either of these behaviors?

Usernames are not required to have an initial capital letter.
Profiles end up with one, yes.  It has to do with the fact that
most unix-based filesystems are case-sensitive.

> My authentication database is from a DB on a discussion forum and users are
> not used to case sensitivity in their logons on the forum. It's causing
> some frustration in the creation and edit of profiles.

That part can probably be fixed, depending on how the authentication
is being performed.  Are you using a cookbook recipe or some other
customization in order to get the authentication from the DB?

> If I have a user who has been editing some pages, and had logged on with
> all lower case in his username, then he goes to edit his profile, he gets
> challenged again for user/pass with no idea why. It's easy to forget that
> you need to have the initial cap.

If editing profiles results in a challenge, there must be some
additional configuration information that you haven't disclosed here.
Knowing the additional details would help.