[pmwiki-users] [AuthUser] Is there a way that users can, change their password for themselves

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 14:08:25 CDT 2007

On 9/30/07, Martin Kerz <martin at kerz.org> wrote:
> >> You may found an answer at the end of the
> >> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin page, using
> >> "?action=crypt"
> >
> > I'd be surprised if that helps... just encrypting a password
> > doesn't put
> > it into effect.
>
> That's true. I have to manually add those encrypted passwords to
> SiteAdmin/AuthUser. That's okay for a project of my size, so that's
> way I appreciate the solution.
>
> > The only recipe I'm aware of that gives password-changing
> > capability to
> > AuthUser is ZAP (see Cookbook/MemberMgmt).  To use it you have to
> > adopt
> > ZAP's system for storing personal data on the Profiles page, and all
> > pages in your wiki should require a password to edit, but depending on
> > your site those are small prices to pay for the flexibility and
> > functionality ZAP offers.  If you choose to go that route, I'll be
> > happy
> > to help answer questions.  --Ben S.
>
> ZAP is definately an interesting alternative, although I have the
> impression that ZAP, especially because of ZAPWiki will evolve into
> (or already is) some kind of real fork of pmwiki. I don't want to
> have too much non-standard additions to pmwiki and actually want to
> keep on the pmwiki road. AuthUser is really a great way to handle
> user-based authentication, and I hope that eventually it will become
> more flexible.
>
> My whishlist for AuthUser:
>
> - Support for spaces in usernames (post 2.2)
> - Support for special characters in usernames (perhaps comes in with
> the switch tu UTF-8 (post 2.2)
> - Some interface to change the password of a user.
>
> Moreover I have the impression that Patrick isn't that happy about
> the whole ZAP story...

I was in fact assuming you wanted to stay using "basic" auth configuration.
A more reliable option could be then to configure AuthUser to use
htpasswd/htgroup authentication which coupled with HtpasswdForm will
provide all you need to admin your wiki, letting the users change
their passwords themselve.

--
Dominique