[pmwiki-users] UpdatePage processing markup again

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 3 08:12:12 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 10:21:59AM +0200, Peter & Melodye Bowers wrote:
> > > My problem is in my specific situation I could very easily
> > > end up with a
> > > race condition where PageA contains an MX that writes to
> > > PageB and PageB
> > > contains an MX that writes to PageA.
> >
> > I think you mean a "recursive condition" as opposed to a "race
> > condition"?
>
> So now we not only have to find words that sounds intelligent but we're also
> supposed to find words that mean the right thing?!?  I think we're raising
> the bar too high here... ;-)

I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the problem correctly.  :-)

> [...]
> I think after looking at it some more I've figured out what was confusing to
> me.  Nothing is being done with the $html variable after it is set because
> you aren't interested in the *results* of MarkupToHTML() -- you are
> interested in the side effects of that process in getting the page cache
> updated.  Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.  Although I've toyed with the idea of saving
the value of $html as an attribute also, either as plain text or
as something that could be easily converted to plain text.

> Do I need to be concerned that if a WikiSh MX was being used, for instance,
> to create a link to another page (or to create some other attribute that
> SaveAttributes() was computing), that then the targets (or other attribute)
> would not be correct and there could be problems in future searches?  I'm
> thinking of something like this:
>
> 	{(wikish if test -z "{$MyPTV}"; then; echo "[[MyPage]]"; fi)}

In this case it's probably already being handled.  Presumably the
echo command is sending "[[MyPage]]" back to the markup engine,
where it gets processed as a normal link (and targets is updated
appropriately).  Of course, the way to find out for sure is to
create a page with the above and make sure the targets= line is
correct in the page file.