[pmwiki-users] Are wiki contents recognized by search engines?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Apr 8 19:48:39 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 05:22:14PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> I've looked at the odd-looking contents of the wiki files
> created on the server, (or maybe it was the change files
> that I was looking at) and wondered last night if wiki
> contents are in a format that's recognizable by search
> engines.

Do you mean an internal search engine or an external search
engine?

If an external search engine (e.g., Google or Yahoo!), then the
answer is that they never really see the wiki files on the server--
they see essentially the same web pages that everyone else sees
when looking at a browser.

If you're referring to an internal search engine that directly
indexes the files on the server -- then it's possible that they
won't be recognized by those engines.  Usually there's a way to
get those engines to index based on the web pages, but it would
depend on the particular engine.