[pmwiki-users] LinkCSSToolTip recipe

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Thu Apr 10 12:38:56 CDT 2008

>  > I tried further. It seems that, is the page you're in has a tooltip
>  > inside it, those tooltips that are in the sidebare do work. Otherwise
>  > they do not.

>  I see. This is an old dilemma:
>  I put $HTMLStylesFmt into th emarkup function, so the styles only get
>  put into a page's HTML header if the markup is in the page.
>  BUT markup in a sidebar or other sub-page is rendered late, and the
>  $HTMLStylesFmt styles will never find their way into the HTML header,
>  as the header is done already.
>
>  So the $HTMLStylesFmt should not be in the markup function, but then
>  the styles always get added to every page, even if no tooltip link
>  markup is present.
>
>  Best may be to put all those styles into pub/local.css, then at least
>  the browser will cache them for all pages.

I'll give it a try tonight...

>  > Also, I found that the standard markup with the plus
>  > [[ target | + ]] is broken, an the plus is taken literally.

>  I like to know exactly if it breaks anything.
>  As far as I can see [[Target| + ]] markup works as ever.
>  Markup like [[Target | + |: tooltip text:]] will not show the title,
>  but a simple  + as link text. I never created a
>   [[Target | + |: tooltip text:]] markup.

Yes Hans, I was a bit too short in describing the matter. It does not
break the regular [[target | +]] markup.
Instead, the [[target | + |: tooltip :]] markup does not work as
expected from regular pmwiki user.
Technically said, it does not "break" anything, but the bare expectation.
As far as I'm concerned, such a "plus" markup comes quite handy, in
that I use a multilanguage site: this way links are automatically
adapted, in that they take the page title. You can see it at my test
page, as always.
If the plus could work it would be nice.
But you already created a very nice tool, in any case.
:-)

Luigi