[pmwiki-users] Fox Forum

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 09:57:41 CDT 2008

Friday, August 8, 2008, 2:36:43 PM, Vince Administration wrote:
> Hans,
> In setting up a Fox Forum, there is something that should be simple
> that I can't make happen.
> What I would like is that anyone be allowed to read, but only
> registered users be allowed to post or to create new topics.
> This is actually what happens, but when an unregistered user reads a
> topic, the add comment form appears, and
> after attempting to post, a password form is displayed. What I would
> prefer is not to have the comment form at all if
> the user is not registered, and perhaps a reminder with link to a
> login page.

Do in your setup 'registered users' have page 'edit' rights?
Then you can modify FoxTemplats.FormTemplates section #newtopic
and change (:include FoxTemplates.CommentForm:)
(:if auth edit:)
(:include FoxTemplates.CommentForm:)
(:ifend:)

This will hide the commment form for non-registered (non-edit
privileged) users.

For existing topics you would need to change each topic page
similarly.

to display a rweminder etc change the above to something like
(:if auth edit:)
(:include FoxTemplates.CommentForm:)
(:else:)
To post comments please [[Forum.Register| register]]
(:ifend:)

>  And BTW, is there a way to
> set up different permissions for adding a comment and creating a new
> group?

I think you would need to restrict the edit priveliges to the Forum
group, using local Group customisation.

>  And is there a way for an authorized user to be
> able to edit his own posts, but not others?

To do this in a secure way you would need to use AuthUser and have
registered users login, then do conditional checks against authuser
name. Define the authuser condition as given in
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ConditionalMarkupSamples
and modify FoxTemplates.DisplayTemplates by changing
within the (:if ... conditional markups
    author {$$author}
    authuser {$$author}
also make sure that $author is defined in config.php with $AuthId:

# set passwords and authuser settings
include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");
#if (@$_SESSION['authid']) $Author=$_SESSION['authid'];
if ($AuthId) {
  $Author = $AuthId;
  setcookie('author',$Author,0,'/');
}
include_once("$FarmD/scripts/author.php");

Then you would not need any author input fields, as $author is always
set by the login user name.

  ~Hans