[pmwiki-users] Random Quote : enhancement idea : automatic refresh

The Editor editor at fast.st
Mon Aug 18 12:49:55 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> Monday, August 18, 2008, 4:31:22 PM, Randy Brown wrote:
>
>> Any chance that an automatic refresh could apply only to a section of
>> a page such as a sidebar, div, or header? That would make possible
>> live chats (without losing the input that the user is entering into a
>> form).
>
> I think you would need a skin which uses framesset for this.
> Then you could refresh a frame.

It's perfectly doable using Ajax.  I had an experimental chat module
at one point that worked in PmWiki. I use an updated one now in
BoltWire regularly. Not so useful, but fun.

Someone that is better than I at cross browser compatibility might be
able to fix it up to work on FireFox. In my experience, ajax is not
terribly easy. But once you have a good functional basic module, it's
pretty easy to adapt in different ways.  A slide show would be really
cool if you used Ajax.

Other options are to use an iframe.

And still another idea, if you preload all the screens, is to use
simple dhtml.  I've been doing a lot of fun stuff along those lines
lately and been able to accomplish some pretty cool effects.

Cheers,
Dan