[pmwiki-users] proposed markup for rowspan in simple tables

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Aug 24 08:03:22 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 07:53:33PM +1200, john.rankin at affinity.co.nz wrote:
> >From time to time, I have needed to include a rowspan in a table.
> While this can be done in (:table:) markup with (:cell rowspan=n:)
> (n is the number of rows spanned), in simple tables (|| markup),
> one can colspan but not rowspan.
>
> In the same way that || denotes columnspan, I propose using
> the = character to denote rowspan:
>
> ||cell text ||==spanning text ||
> ||text ||
> ||aaaa ||bbbb ||
>
> To centre or right align the spanning row, put = after the space:
> || ==spanning text ||

There's a small cognitive conflict in that the '==' markup sequence
is used to mean "heading" in many wiki markups, including Creole.
This includes table headings (where PmWiki currently uses ||!heading).
So, I'd prefer a different markup.

It also wasn't obvious until I read the recipe that the number
of equals signs represented the number of rows to span.