[pmwiki-users] proposed markup for rowspan in simple tables

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Aug 25 20:31:54 CDT 2008

(Apologies; I forgot to change the subject in the digest)

On Tuesday, 26 August 2008 10:20 AM, pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
>Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:13:13 +0200
>From: Christian Ridderstr?m 	<christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [pmwiki-users] proposed markup for rowspan in simple
>	tables
>>
>> ... how would one specify an "empty" cell?
>
>That's certainly a problem. I have no answer, but maybe &nbsp; could
>be used to mark an empty cell?

As noted separately, backtickspace = &nbsp; in the PublishPDF library.

>Having written some posts on this subject now, I think I'm leaning towards
>the following:
>
>* Add mechanism to convert between different types of table
>markup styles.
>
>* Aim for a reasonable table editor in the core. It's important that
>   the editor doesn't destory parts of the table markup that it doesn't
>   recognice. It'd be ok if it can only work with (:table:) if it's
>   possible to convert.
>
>* Add mechanism to control alignment on a column basis. This is
>   for ||...||-tables as well. If cells in the table need a different
>   alignement, this should be done with e.g. %left% in the
>cell.

Why not use the existing space convention so a cell can override its
column setting? Or would it be too easy to override by mistake?

>Best regards
>/Christian

No rowspan markup then? I'd rather see that first. At least let's
agree on the markup so I can implement a local customisation.

I agree that everything on your list is worthy, and I agree with
the order of priority.

--
JR