[pmwiki-users] Proposal to change (...) in links to {...} (fwd)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 08:59:47 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:59:50PM +0200, Christian Ridderström wrote:
> > I'd like to propose that we begin migrating to using curly braces
> > instead of parens to suppress parts of links.
>
> It sounds reasonable, but why did you initially select (...)?

Wikipedia was using parens for this purpose in some link formats,
so I co-opted it for PmWiki.

> > Proposal:  I'd like to start switching pmwiki to use curly braces (or
> > perhaps some other bracketing character) instead of parens for this,
> > such that the above link would be written as:
>
> I'm not sure how relevant this is, but on a Swedish keyboard {..} are more
> inconvenient. I also don't see {...} as that intuitive, but OTOH I guess
> (...) wasn't either.

It's not all that common, so I'm not too worried about convenience.
And I'm pretty sure that [[WikiPage{s}]]  is still more convenient
than [[WikiPages | WikiPage]].

> Some alternatives:
>     [[(http://www.)pmichaud.com]]		- today
>     [[{http://www.}pmichaud.com]]		- { ... }
>     [[<http://www.>pmichaud.com]]		- < ... >

Definitely not angle brackets.

> What other characters are the that are illegal in URIs?

AFAICT there's no longer a definitive set, but PmWiki treats
the following as not being valid in URIs: