[pmwiki-users] proposed markup for rowspan in simple tables

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 15:33:25 CDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 08:03:02AM +1200, john.rankin at affinity.co.nz wrote:
> > Any possibility somebody could throw out an example of how it would
> > look spanning a row in an inner column?  Is this how it would look?
> >
> > ||text ||span rows ///||column 3||
> > ||text ||column 3||
> > ||text ||column 3||
>
> In my tests, it's this one. Otherwise, in HTML you have to track and remove
> the empty cells being spanned. On the other hand, to generate Wikibook
> XML, you have to insert empty "placeholder" cells.
> >
> > Or would you leave a blank column like this?
> >
> > ||text ||span rows ///||column 3||
> > ||text || ||column 3||
> > ||text || ||column 3||
>
> Arguably, this is clearer, and pmwiki *should* remove the empty
> cells when generating HTML. However, I can't do that so easily as
> a local customisation.

Indeed, the confusion surrounding the "skips" over rowspanned
cells is part of the reason I never worked too hard to accommodate
a rowspan markup.

One could potentially come up with a markup that means "skip this
cell in output", as in:

  ||text ||span rows +++||column 3||

In this case, PmWiki would simply omit the cells containing
only ++'s from the HTML output, or otherwise convert those
into something that is innocuous to XHTML but perhaps useful
to other conversions such as LaTeX or the like.