[pmwiki-users] Protecting part of a page

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 22:19:05 CST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 8:26 PM,  <jggouvea at globo.com> wrote:
> Em Friday 01 February 2008 02:15:32 Chris Cox escreveu:
> > Steven Benmosh wrote:
> > > I have an interesting wish - I would like to protect parts of a page,
> > > while allowing users to edit the rest of the page. Is that possible?
>
> I would use PageHeader for that. If your page is, say, a Guestbook, you can
> create a Guestbook/ group and put your protected content in a page called
> Guestbook/GroupHeader

I've used that in a few places.  In fact, in your
Guestbook/GroupHeader, you can even have a conditional statement that
limits display of the protected text to those pages on which it's
relevant.  So, suppose you have some instructions that apply to a
particular page "Complaints" in the Guestbook wikigroup but not to
others, and these instructions are what you want to display while
protecting them from editors.  You could have, in
Guestbook/GroupHeader:

(:if [ auth edit && name Complaints ] :)
Please use the password to edit this page and record your complaints
about your experience(:ifend:)

Another, entirely different solution:

The recipe on http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AddDeleteLine2 lets
you create a form (you can create the form on another, edit-protected
page and include it on the page that the users work with) that users
with edit rights can fill in.  The output from the form can go on the
same page, or on yet another page, with each new entry being added
above or below (your option) the previous.

What I've sometimes done is suppress display of Site/PageActions and
other user tools on this page, so that while the edit password,
required for posting to the form, also confers edit rights to the
page, there is no "edit", "history" or other link that users who
aren't clued into the wiki thing might click out of curiosity.

You'll also need to suppress the
require-entry-of-author-name-to-save-edits feature, if you have it
enabled for the wiki as a whole, because of a flaw in the recipe