[pmwiki-users] MySQL and Notify?

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Sat Feb 16 11:00:25 CST 2008

Hans wrote,
> Thursday, February 14, 2008, 7:43:04 AM, Stirling Westrup wrote:
>
>> Use a database recipe and some variation of Notify perhaps? Will they
>> even play nice together?
>
> DataQuery looks interesting. The documentation says that you do not
> need ZAP for it, you could use another form processing system. If I
> understand it correctly, it should work quite transparent. You just
> designate a wiki group as a query in the configuration, and actions
> on pages in it are done on database records. The database acts as a
> wiki page store.
>
> Notify should work, if you set the mail receiver to get notification
> for a page change in your data page, and set squelch=0 for this.

Yes, DataQuery will do the trick without requiring ZAP or any other form
processor ... *if* the text of a wiki page is to be stored as a single
field in the database.  (just call the field pm_text in the query
configuration; that need not be its name in the table)  See the third
paragraph of http://workscited.net/dataquery/Main/HistoryAndAttributes
where I say I didn't see a use for such a feature at the time I wrote
it.  :-)  I'm glad someone else did!

If, on the other hand, you want to put different parts of the page text
into different fields of the table, you will need some way to get them
from a form into page text variables; that's what ZAP does.  It's
theoretically possible to use a different form processor instead of ZAP,
but I have yet to do it.

As for Notify, I assume it works with any page store and not just with
wiki.d (the wiki's default page store).  I have not tried it.  Best of
luck, Stirling, and let us know how it works!  --Ben S.