[pmwiki-users] Intermittent Php error, seems to be in whitespace markup

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Feb 21 16:40:26 CST 2008

Since upgrading a site from 2.1.27 to 2.2beta65, I have
been getting intermittent php errors:

ERROR: pat=/^\s+ #1/ex Compilation failed:
unmatched parentheses at offset 8

This pattern is used in the scripts/stdmarkup.php to
support the '^ws' markup rule and the pattern has
changed since pmwiki 2.1.27. This appears to be the
only place it's used. In 2.1.27, the pattern was
'/^(\\s+)/e'.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this on demand and
reloading the page makes the problem go away -- it only
happens from time to time, with no obvious pattern.

Also, even though action=diag says $EnableWSPre = 1,
lines that start with spaces are being wrapped in

I found one other reference to this problem in the mail
archive, but no solution. I wonder if it's a php version
problem?

The site is running under Apache/1.3.26 PHP/4.1.2
Debian GNU/Linux

Any ideas how to fix this? I have temporarily changed the
2 whitespace rules to their 2.1.27 values. Now the <pre>
is back, but indents within things like lists do not work
correctly. I'm tinkering, but not really making progress.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
JR
--
John Rankin
Affinity Limited