[pmwiki-users] Programs should be allowed to edit pages (Was: PmWiki and Spam)

George De Bruin sndchaser at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 10:40:04 CST 2008

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:

I have to agree that I am not a fan of captcha, but for reasons that are
different that the ones normally stated.  While I am a fully-abled
person, I often find the images that are used in captcha to be
completely unreadable. It's very frustrating to have to go through a
bunch of images to find one that I can actually read to type into a box,
especially when I am just trying to leave a comment that should have
only taken a few seconds.

Personally, I think Neil's openly accessible password list is a good
idea.  By having the passwords on a seperate page, that is formatted in
such a way that automated parsing isn't easy should stop 90 percent or
better of the attacks on the site.

If you wanted to take this a step further, you could put the passwords
in images on the page, and offer an alternative page that has a text
version for the visually impared.

By using a list like this, you could change the password(s) say once a
month, or once a quarter, or if some bot starts trying to deface pages.

It's not a perfect solution, but it should be effective enough to stop a
lot of the spam bot attacks, while still allowing Christian and others
to maintain automated editing systems that are appropriate.

Just my 2 cents.

// George