[pmwiki-users] Announcing New Recipe: 5 star rating system

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 09:18:52 CDT 2008

Friday, July 11, 2008, 3:08:25 PM, Vince Administration wrote:

> On second thought maybe I do. You have users rating in stars, and you
> want to compute some sort of average?
> But where do the votes and 20 points come in? Is this just a device
> to get a number to average?
> Help?

The 20 is just used as a multiplier to get the top maximum to 100
points. 100 points equivalent to 5 stars.
But since we don't vote zero stars the minimum is 20 equivalent to 1
star.
I am concerned that the averages are meaningful, and that a voter for
instance clicking on a two-star choice will see 2 stars, not 1.5.
which leads to some problem in the scale, and I choose to have it
with the 4.5 stars = 85+ points, i.e. the score will grow quicker
from 4 to 5 stars than it would from 3 to 4 stars. Otherwise we never
get a five star rating.

  ~Hans