[pmwiki-users] Xhtml 1.0 Strict

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 27 11:23:36 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 05:34:18PM +0200, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> >> I see that current pmwiki outputs XHTML 1.0 Transitional pages.
> >> Would it be an attainable goal to have XHTML 1.0 Strict code?
>
> > While it would certainly be attainable, I'm not sure it would
> > be a desirable goal in the general case.  :-)
>
> I ask because there is a law here in Italy that "forces" sites of
> public organizations, public offices, government-dependent
> services,... to comply with "accessibility rules" and one of the main
> issue is validate as "strict" and not as "transitional".
> I was asking myself if I could put together (not that I'm an expert,
> but I'll try), starting from the plain Pmwiki skin or Triad (they are
> the best two skin, and both quite flexible), a derivate skin which is
> "accessible".

Here's my quick attempt at getting the PmWiki skin to be
XHTML 1.0 Strict:

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PmWiki?skin=pmwiki-strict

Running it against the W3C validation service generates two
errors -- the target= attribute isn't allowed in <a ...>
and the align= attribute isn't allowed in <table ...> .
Anyone know how to do these in a way that is XHTML 1.0 Strict
compatible?

(The align= attribute issue actually comes from the page markup,
not PmWiki, so it'd be something the markup would have to change
as opposed to the PmWiki code.)