[pmwiki-users] Strange rendering behavior of vspace

carlos.ab at gmail.com carlos.ab at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 13:36:28 CDT 2008

Em Domingo 09 Março 2008 13:44, Tegan Dowling escreveu:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 10:12 AM, DaveG <pmwiki at solidgone.com> wrote:
> >  David Spitzley wrote:
> >  > I've discovered a weird rendering problem:  in Firefox a [[<<]] pushes
> >  > everything after it below the bottom of the content in my SideBar, but
> >  > in IE the [[<<]] is seamless.  You can see the effect at
> >  > http://www.davidaspitzley.org/PotatoPatch/index.php?n=Main.WikiSandbox
> >  > .  Any suggestions as to what's going on here?  Is this limited to the
> >  > Marinee skin, which is the one I'm using?  I wanted to use [[<<]] to
> >  > interrupt float behavior, but this makes that difficult at best.
> >
> >  I suspect this problem is related to a bug already listed for the
> >  Marinee skin. I'll add information relating to this problem as well.
>
> This was also an issue with the BeeblebroxNetGila skin --
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BeeblebroxNetGila.  That skin
> appears to have been superseded by the Maguila skin --
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MaguilaSkin.  Maybe the latter is
> free of this defect.  If so, maybe the means of repairing it can be
> adapted to your skin.
>
> When I used BeeblebroxNetGila, I added a table structure in the body
> of the site (below the SiteHeader area and above the SiteFooter) and
> added vertical-align="top" to the markup for selected cells to remedy
> The Big Gap.
>
> hth,
>
> Tegan

Most of the time the problem shows when just one of the columns is floated,
the solution I found is to float both columns ( sidebar and content ), but
other problems will show up like:

* Tables  will not center right in some browsers.
* You will have to use filters/csshacks/conditional comments to give some
browsers different rules, mostly IEs.
* It is also good to use the xml declaration to put IEs in non standards
mode/quircks mode as IE6 is not a good player.
* When floating all columns, give containers the property "overflow:hidden" so
the layout won't break.
* Use containers and never use padding on containers, use margins in inner div
html tags (thanks XES).

I hope this can help you a bit,

CarlosAB

(excuse my english as it is not that good)