[pmwiki-users] long links problem may depend on php version

Mike Smick michaelbuddy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 13:09:21 CDT 2008

I have a problem with a long link from paypal.  When saving the wiki
edit page, I get an error:
 ----------------------
 Service Temporarily Unavailable

 The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to
 maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
 ----------------------
The site:  (I've used a workaround, (tinyurl for right now))
 http://www.pawsforconsideration.com/test/index.php?n=Main.Donations

Here's the actual paypal link that's failing. It's for donations for
this non-profit.

 https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=michelle@pawsforconsideration.com&item_name=Donation%20to%20Paws%20for%20Consideration&no_shipping=2&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&lc=US&bn=PP-DonationsBF&charset=UTF-8

 I did some different trials and it appears that it fails on multiple
 sites hosted by dreamhost) where I get the error.  My dreamhost
server is running PHP/4.4.8 according to response headers.

 But my other site, hosted by Siteground.com does not produce the
error.   Response headers show that it's running  PHP/5.2.5

 that's all I got at the moment. But the biggest problem in this is
not  that a long link won't work, but that the save fails  All the
typing for the edit that contains the link fails and the content is
not recoverable for that edit.

I'm running the latest version of PmWiki on all sites.
pmwiki-2.2.0-beta65.  I'm also running pmform, swf or flash.php and
maybe a couple other cookbook extensions.

-mike smick