[pmwiki-users] Confused about google analytics

Steven Benmosh wordz2u at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 11:29:26 CDT 2008

Hi All,

1. What is the latest on including google-analytics script in PmWiki?
According to http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/GoogleAnalytics we can
include the script either in the skin template. According to another posting
(*http://www.mail-archive.com/pmwiki-users@pmichaud.com/msg07436.html)*, it
is best to put the script in the side bar.

I tried putting it in my footer (actually in a page that I include in the
footer), but google did not identify the site as having the script, even
though I could see it in the page source. So I put it in the sidebar, and it
was recognized.

My main concern is that google analytics would not identify what page is
being looked at if I use the sidebar, but I guess I will find out in a day
or two...

2. In my site, I have a front page (www.words2u.net) that sends users to
either a wiki (http://www.words2u.net/pmwiki/) or a blog. But it is also
possible to go directly to the wiki (gps.words2u.net) or the blog (
blog.words2u.net) using apache included sites. While the blog maintains the
url structure, PmWiki, even if I access it as gps.words2u.net, the
derivative pages do not use gps.words2u.net/GPS.HomePage, but rather go to
www.words2u.net/pmwiki/?n=...)

Is there a way to force PmWiki to use the root I select for it (
gps.words2u.net/...), instead of reverting to the main site url (
www.words2u.net/pmwiki/...) ?

3. Considering that pmwiki sends the url back to the root page, should use
the same google analytics for the home page and the wiki, or use a separate
one for each?

Hope my questions are not too confusing, and that I am not breaking
etiquette by including so many web pages. You have my word that I am not
trying to market my site to anyone on this list - unless you plan to visit
Central America with a GPS device, my site is of no interest to you :)

Z.