[pmwiki-users] Group passwords

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Mon May 12 21:53:31 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Henrik Bechmann <henrik at bechmann.ca> wrote:
> When I login with a site-wide edit password, I am challenged for an
>  additional *read* password for a group for which I have set a read password.
>
>  I'm having a little trouble fathoming this. I thought that an edit
>  password trumps a read password.

It doesn't.  Read and edit permissions are set separately, and edit
rights do not confer read rights, any more than read rights confer
edit rights.

If, in your config.php file, you have

        $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('userpasswordhere');

Then in any wikigroup named, for example, ProtectedGroup, you need to
use ProtectedGroup.GroupAttributes?action=attr to:
Set new read password = userpasswordhere

OR use ProtectedGroup.GroupAttributes?action=attr to:
Set new read password = specialgrouppass userpasswordhere
Set new edit password = specialgrouppass userpasswordhere
(create a space-separated list of passwords for each attribute)

You cannot use ProtectedGroup.GroupAttributes?action=attr to:
Set new read password = @_site_edit

That doesn't work.  In discussion in this list-serv in 2006, PM said
that he never intended @_site_edit to be used on
GroupAttributes?action=attr.

(Everybody please VOTE on http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00836).