[pmwiki-users] Security and Home Page URL

Daniel dkml at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 1 15:42:48 CDT 2009

Lane Lester schreef:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:36 AM, Daniel <dkml at xs4all.nl
> <mailto:dkml at xs4all.nl>> wrote:
>
>     I am also a science teacher at a private school in the Netherlands,
>     giving Computer lessons. I installed Edubuntu as a server, and the
>     students are working on laptops in a LTSP network. It is a very stable
>     system. Costs are minimal, because the laptops are all over-aged
>     second-hand.
>

> Thank you, Daniel, for the encouragement and the information. I did not
> spend much time investigating before I selected PmWiki, so I'm glad to
> learn I made a good decision. I need to spend some time investigating
> its setup and capabilities, From your post I see that it has a lot
> more potential than was obvious from my first exposure.
>
> I'm going to convert my clients from DHCP to static IPs to track
> in-house vandalism. I don't know how to use external IPs to identify
> miscreants.

Although the password protection of pmWiki is considered save (see a
previous discussion on this forum), in this case I advised not to expose
our wiki on the internet. There is private data of pupils in it, and if
a clever hacker finds a leak, it is all too embarrassing for the school.
I have set up a firewall with some  exceptions to IP-addresses of some
teachers. They can add content from their homes now.

If you have a public part of the wiki, you can set up a Wiki Farm (see
the cookbook how to do that). This second wiki you could even set up as
a CMS, so that it looks like a 'real' website.

(In our country there is no way for a private person to link an
ip-address to a person or his home-address)

Good luck, Daniel