[pmwiki-users] Skin authors : Many PmWiki skins fail to validate

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Mon Apr 6 20:19:55 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 01:36:29 DaveG wrote:
>  > Petko Yotov schrieb:
>  > I was surprised to
>  > find out that in the first 20 skins, 17 failed to validate.
>
> The w3 validation doesn't validate skins. It validates HTML pages. The
> validation results can provide useful direction to both the skin author
> *and* the specific page that is being validated.

If a page with the same content, but with the default PmWiki skin, validates,
one could legitimately consider that what does not validate is the skin.

Same consideration for the output of recipes.

I want PmWiki to make good impression on newcomers, especially on advanced
users, professionals, webmasters and designers, and the valid HTML and CSS
are important (to me and to them).

So, at least at PmWiki.org, documentation, cookbook and skins, I'd like to
only have pages that validate.

I'll be happy to help authors fix their recipes if they are unable or
unwilling to do it, or disable on pmwiki.org those demos that fail to
validate.

Thanks,
Petko