[pmwiki-users] Tagging like TiddlyWiki

Michael Fake michael.j.fake at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 13 08:27:02 CDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I'd like to be able to set up a simple tagging system, whereby on each page
you can add a tag which acts as a direct link to another page. E.g. You
could tag the page 'Main/Daschund' with the 'Dogs' tag, and clicking on that
link would take you to Main/Dogs. I'd then like to have the option to list,
in Main/Dog, all those pages that have the 'Dogs' tag. This seems to be how
tags in the ever-useful TiddlyWiki <http://www.tiddlywiki.com/> work, and
I'd like a similar navigation option in pmwiki.

I've tried to do this in several ways:

First I tried using Categories but this is no good, as obviously the
Category link takes you to Category/Dogs, not Main/Dogs.

Then I tried simply adding a link at the bottom of the page to [[Main/Dogs]]
and backlinking using the (:pagelist link=Dogs:), but this isn't suitable
either, as it brings up any page that happens to have a Main/Dogs link in it
(I only want the list to show pages that have been actively tagged).

My third attempt was a bit of a hack - if I add a link to the bottom of the
page with an asterisk inside the link [[*Main/Dogs]] it seems to work as a
link to Main/Dogs. Then on the Dogs page I generate a list using (:pagelist
*Main/Dogs:), which seems to excludes any links to [[Main/Dogs]] that might
happen to be in the text of other pages. The main problem I have with this
is that the pagelist output always lists itself.

Does anyone have a better way of doing this, and/or a way of getting
(:pagelist *Main/Dogs:) to exclude the page Main/Dogs?

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers,
Michael.