[pmwiki-users] Google analytics
wordz2u at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 13:32:10 CDT 2009
On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:
> On Saturday 29 August 2009 10:49:36 Steven Benmosh wrote:
> > I have been using 2.2.1 for a long time, probably a couple of years,
> Version 2.2.1 was released in March this year, so you probably had an even
> earlier version. Maybe 2.1.27?
Possibly. I picked 2.2.1 b/c there was a download directory of it, but maybe
it was another update, or maybe I did not deploy it.
> > without changes. Since I installed the latest version (I think it was
> > 2.2.4, about a week or two ago, and then there was a newer release which
> > installed yesterday 2.2.5), I am getting reports telling me that there
> > no visitors to the site. When I go to adsense.google.com, I can see that
> > there were page impressions, so I know people can and do access the site.
> > Yet I have errors having to do with blocked URL. I have not had such
> > problems with the older version.
> PmWiki.org uses Google Analytics and it seems to work fine for us.
> > Does anyone have any idea if this may be the result of permission
> > or robots policy changes between the 2.2.4 and the older version 2.2.1?
> > Any other idea what might be causing this?
> Your skin doesn't seem to have the Google Analytics snippet which should
> like this:
> <script src='http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js'
> _uacct = 'UA-1234567-1';
> This should be either in the skin template, or in a $HTMLHeaderFmt
> in config.php.
> You are using the default PmWiki skin and if you had modified it, it might
> have been replaced by the upgrade. You should normally copy the default
> files to another directory, say myskin, add to config.php $Skin =
> and modify these files instead of the default ones. (You may read the
> document in the skin folder.)
OK, I looked in the different folders and config.php. The config.php I am
using was not overwritten, as it has the adsense script in it. From looking
at the different dates, it was not an issue of overwriting files, at least
not the usual suspects.
I tried changing the skins directory name to a new one that included a
different template. This template was there before, and it contained the
snippet of code for the tracker. I only hope it is the right tracker number,
as this file is rather old.
The problem I ran into with this approach was that it affected the resulting
web pages - fields moved to the left, borders disappeared, etc. I tried
putting the script in the header section, and in the footer section, but in
either case the pages changed, so I abandoned this approach.
I ended up inserting the script into the page I am using for the different
group headers (I have a single file which I include in the different group
headers). This seemed to provide the required code without breaking
I wonder if they may have made some changes in Google to the analytics. I
have been getting requests to link the adsense and analytics accounts
lately, and every time I click on the link it wanted me to sign up to
analytics. I could not find my old account anywhere, even though I get an
email from them every day...
Thanks, I will let you know if it worked in a day or two...
Check out my web site - www.words2u.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the pmwiki-users