[pmwiki-users] (:title:) of (:include:) included pages overrides page title

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 04:37:03 CST 2009

Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 9:23:35 AM, Oliver Betz wrote:

> Petko Yotov wrote:

>>> I'm somewhat confused by http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00779
>>>

>>I added in the PITS entry a code to disable title directives from included
>>pages:
>>  $QualifyPatterns['/\\(:title\\s(.*?):\\)/i'] = '';

Please add this to the title markup documentation.

>>Do you think we should push for some change to the core, or the solution I
>>gave is good enough and we could instead just update the documentation?

> I still consider it very confusing that title directives from included
> pages have an effect. Why should I use a title directive, if the
> include directive overrides it later?

> Maybe I simply missed the scenario where it's useful.

It can be very useful, and I oppose any suggestion that (:title :)
from any included page should have no effect.
The simplest example is the use of (:title :) in a GroupHeader or
GroupFooter page, for automatic title settings of all group pages.
This is used in blog and other calendar applications.

I think it is sufficient if the documentation states a solution how
an admin could disable title markup from included pages.

But the main reason for the confusion is not that a title markup from
an included page has an effect (this just brings it to attention),
but that a title markup encountered later overrides the earlier
setting. For title markup this is totally unintuitive, and I think
the core behaviour should change to make sure that the first title
markup always wins, with perhaps an admin option enabling last title
would win.
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00266

If we have this in place, then setting a title in  a GroupHeader
will override a title set in the page content. But I think this is
just fine.

> Regarding inclusion of other variables (parallel thread Hans started
> briefly before my posting), I have no preference. But "title" is a
> special case IMO.

Perhaps. Or perhaps it would be good to consider the possibility of
changing from a dedicated title markup to a PTV 'title'?

But let us discuss preferred order of PTV evaluation in the other
thread.

  ~Hans