[pmwiki-users] Title and PTV undesired behaviour

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 3 09:01:10 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:26:26PM +0100, Peter Bowers wrote:
> However, Hans, your points on the other side are very legitimate.  Thus it
> appears a configurable switch is needed to meet the needs on both sides. This
> switch would ideally (in my mind) be at both the administrative level and also
> with a markup override for a given page.
>
> Suggested config switch:
>     $EnablePTVOptionFirstWins=1;
> -or-
>     $PTVOptions['firstwins'] = 1;
>
> Suggested markup:
>     (:PTVoption lastwins:) // if the non-default config option has been chosen
>     (:PTVoption firstwins:)

The markup option is a non-starter -- PTVs for a page are processed
outside of the normal markup handling rules.  And I'm not sure what
we have now warrants its introduction here.

I'm also not a big fan of switching PmWiki's default.  Perhaps
providing an option to switch the default is a possibility, but
even here I think that trying to explain what it does (and
figuring out all of its ramifications) indicates that we're probably
heading down the wrong path.

Instead of "first wins" or "last wins", what if we modified the
PTV markup such that a page itself can indicate the absolute winner?
For example, something like

    (:Test: abc)
    (:*Test: 123)
    (:Test: xyz)

could result in {$:Test} always being "123", with the asterisk
indicating "This is the value to use regardless of any other
ptvs on this page."