[pmwiki-users] Translation downloads updated

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Thu Feb 5 13:19:22 CST 2009

Petko Yotov wrote:

(how http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ pages get into the
distribution)

>The script reports if the page in wiki.d has been modified, can display and
>let me edit the latest version in wiki-markup (I didn't get that last time),
>and update or revert the version in wikilib.d. Then it can update the repo.

You mean "wikilib.d in the repo"? Or does pmwiki.org use a wikilib.d?

>What I meant by "manually" is that I personally have to look at the current
>page to see if it is ok.[1]
>
>Patrick agreed to update the tool to also display text-diffs between the
>wiki.d and the wikilib.d versions. Right now, after many months of changes,
>text-diffs will be huge and impractical, but after we review and update these
>pages, newer changes will be smaller and diffs will be easier to use.

Text diffs e.g. in diff3 format? That would indeed be inconvenient.

For compare and merge, I prefer a side by side method. There are lots
of sophisticated tools out there - Beyond Compare, EC Merge, KDiff3,
Meld, Winmerge, CSDiff... Some of them allow direct editing in both
panes. A perfect companion to SVN and a indispensable tool.

Sadly these tools are not good to compare PmWiki page files. I already
thought about making a bidirectional filter to convert a page file to
a "comparable" format (with line breaks), but I didn't proceed because
keeping the history was too complicated for me. Maybe I do it only for
the current revision and drop the history on saving.

Eemeli's PageTopStore is a clean and simple alternative for me.

>Petko
>
>[1] I can use some help. If people from the community have the time and are
>willing to help out, we could review all PmWiki/* pages and fix them with an
>edit summary like "Ok for a release". This will be much faster. (Other ideas
>are welcome too.)

IMO a page text variable containing the documentation status as in the
PmWikiDe pages is a good thing because they enable the use of
pagelists.

In addition, I suggest a page where issues with the PmWiki/
documentation shall be stored.

Where do you suggest a discussion should take place - in this list
(which I would prefer) or in PmWiki?

Oliver