[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks: a concrete suggestion

Eemeli Aro eemeli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:30:37 CST 2009

2009/2/19 Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com>:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:15:06PM +0200, Eemeli Aro wrote:
>> 1. Add a new 'Users:' title as the last in the recipeinfo box on
>> Cookbook.Template. This can then be added to other recipes
>> organically, and should become a comma-delimited list of users of the
>> recipe. A link to a profile page is probably most appropriate, but
>> really anything goes.
>
> Veto.  I think that a comma-separated list of users (especially in
> the recipeinfo box) will become too unwieldy if a recipe ends up
> with dozens of users.

Ok, how about adding it then further down on the page, say between
Contributors and Comments? This might require a slightly different
markup, as the semantically obvious thing to do then would be to make
Users a section header.

Alternatively, how about keeping the Users: declaration in the
recipeinfo box, but only displaying some set number of entries on the
actual page? This could be done just with CSS (something like
white-space: nowrap; max-width: 40em;) or more cleanly in PHP.

I still think it makes sense to include this information, whatever its
format, on the actual cookbook recipe page. For the vast majority of
recipes, I think it'd be too much of a hassle to put this even on a
separate -Talk page.

Or yet again alternatively, how about (again) keeping the Users list
by default in the recipeinfo box, but allowing it to be moved to a
-Talk page if necessary? The pagelist template would then have to
include something like this:
  (:if exists {=$FullName}-Talk :)
    {(csvcount "{{=$FullName}-Talk$:Users}")}
  (:else:)
    {(csvcount "{=$:Users}")}
  (:ifend:)

eemeli