[pmwiki-users] Status of $EnableHTMLCache

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Wed Feb 25 12:06:46 CST 2009

Hi All,

Eemeli's last mail reminded me that EnableHTMLCache is still
undocumented.

The best description I found is a posting from Patrick dated
2007-05-14:

- snip -
PmWiki has several (somewhat experimental) caching features,
which may be able to help out some.  You can set up page caching
by setting:

  $PageCacheDir = 'work.d';
  $EnableHTMLCache = 1;

This caches the main contents of each page, so that PmWiki doesn't
have to reconvert the markup to HTML on each page request.  However,
it can't/won't cache pages that contain any of:
  - {$Author}, {$AuthId}
  - (:if authid:)
  - (:if auth:)
  - (:noleft:), (:noright:), (:notitle:), (:noheader:), (:nofooter:)
  - (:title:), (:keywords:), (:description:)
  - $[phrase]
  - date values such as 'today', 'now', 'yesterday', etc.

Using the above in sidebar pages, or in Site.PageActions or the like
is okay, as the $EnableHTMLCache feature caches only the main
contents.
- snip -

What is the current status of this feature, is it still
"experimental"?

Is the restriction mentioned above still true?

If yes, why does static markup like (:noleft:) or (:title:) prevent
from caching?

Oliver