[pmwiki-users] USe PTVs instead of directives (was (:title:) of (:include:) included pages overrides page title)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 25 14:43:22 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:20:30PM +0200, Eemeli Aro wrote:
> 2009/2/25 Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org>:
> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 07:30:51PM +0200, Eemeli Aro wrote:
> And I agree that they aren't page text variables, but my point is that
> they ought to be.

And my point is that they shouldn't be, because they have extra
semantics which makes them unlike ordinary PTVs, and if you represented
them as PTVs, people would be confused, because they would behave
differently to ordinary PTVs.

> Can you explain a bit more how this breaks your
> site? Is it just a matter of having similarly-named page text
> variables on your site?

I use "Title:" as a PTV, and in many cases, it is explicitly different
from the page title.  For example, I might have

(:title Way (Back) Around:)
Title:The {$Title}

This gives me the ability to sort a pagelist without "The" in the title,
(sorting by page title) and display the information with the full title
(using the $:Title value)

Kathryn Andersen