[pmwiki-users] preformatted text fixed width

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Sun Jan 18 10:57:02 CST 2009

The main issue is that code tags are defined as:
code.escaped {
   white-space:nowrap;
}

What this means is that the line will be as long as necessary to fit the
entire text, without wrapping. The side effect of this is that now the
entire .rightColumn is the same width as the 'code', so even setting
lesser widths on other elements won't change the rightColumn width.

Normally the solution is to add "overflow: auto", to add a scrollbar to
the non-wrapped lines. In this case that doesn't work, and I didn't have
time to work out why. (Strangely adding "overflow: auto; white-space:
nowrap" to .vspace does force the scrollbar -- although it has the
significant unwanted effect of putting a scrollbar on every .vspace
paragraph :) ) I *suspect* this has something to do with using tables --
but I have no evidence for that other than inexperience with tables.

pre tags seem to work fine, so one thing you might try is defining code
to be the same as pre, on line 137 of rounded.css:
    pre, code {

btw, adding a width to wikitext rather than rightColumn forces the
rightColumn width.

  ~ ~ Dave