[pmwiki-users] Pre-announcing 2.2.0 non-beta release

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 16:00:16 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 09:24:06PM +0100, Oliver Betz wrote:
> "Patrick R. Michaud" wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >Maybe we could have Cookbook.Recipe-Endorsements, much like
> >some recipes have -Talk pages.
>
> ack, this separates documentation and rating.

> >>    (:pagelist group=Profiles link={*$FullName} fmt=count:)
> >
> >Computing the number of endorsements in this way becomes
> >_very_ expensive on the server if we're wanting to do it for
> >a number of recipes.  Using links to profile pages means that
>
> Couldn't the count be cached in a page text variable on each
> modification?

Since it'd be the profile pages that are modified, and not
the cookbook pages, that really wouldn't work.  We'd have to
have special code that says "if this is a profile page and if there
are links to the cookbook pages then go recalculate the cached
counts on each of those cookbook pages (which involves potentially
a lot more reads and updates).

Or, if someone retracted their endorsement, we'd have to notice that
we need to update the cookbook page(s) to which the profile page
no longer links.