[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Tue Jan 27 10:54:18 CST 2009

> >   * {support} Great recipe. [[~John]] January 2, 2009 at 16:31 pm
> >   * {oppose} Didn't work for me (PHP5 required). ~~~~
> >   * {strong support} I love love love love L.O.V.E. it!!! :-x ~~~~
>
> We'd need to decide what the allowable items inside the parens
> are, and how they would translate to an overall rating.
> One disadvantage of this approach is that it isn't clear to
> someone editing the page what the allowable terms inside the
> parens are, and it's prone to spelling mistakes.

I know I'm late on this portion of the discussion, but I think a form-based
system has way more advantages than disadvantages.  (As shown by the concern
re allowable terms and spelling mistakes.)

Of course having a code rather than words in the source of the page reduces
the problem of what happens if someone does edit by hand.  Something like
this:

* (+1) Great recipe. [[~John]] January 2, 2009
* (-1) Didn't work for me (PHP5 required). January 3, 2009
* {+2} I love love love love L.O.V.E. it!!! :-x, January 4, 2009

Can display with "support"/"oppose"/"strong support" via markup (as well as
being translated into other languages) and has the advantage that it's less
likely to be the cause of typographical errors.  The form could, of course,
convert easily from a selection or a radio button with "support" to a
"+1"...  The form also assures that the datestamp gets entered and etc...

-Peter