[pmwiki-users] Server Upgrade Help

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Wed Jul 8 01:28:45 CDT 2009

DaveG wrote:

[...]

>In the event that anyone else has this issue, the problem seems to be
>that the old server ran PHP under my username (as a FastCGI process) --
>so any files that got created are owned by my used. The new server runs
>PHP as an Apache module, and so new files are created and owned by
>"nobody".

the latter solution is widespread in low cost hosting as it is fast
and simple to install. But I would never use it because it is unsecure
in shared hosting.

FastCGI/FCGI with suexec seems to be as fast as mod_php but harder to
maintain. A good hosting provider should be able to do it correctly.
For me, it's one of the the minimum requirements when I select a web
hosting service.

Oliver