[pmwiki-users] comment spam and blogs

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Fri May 1 05:19:39 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Chris Lott <chris at chrislott.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Maria McKinley <parody at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone tried incorporating this with using  authuser so you can use ldap
>> for most editing, but the public password for comments?
>
> This is exactly the setup I am trying to achieve on one of my wikis...
> ideally editing in the comments group wouldn't ask for a username at
> all.

I've never seen anybody do this so I don't know if it would cause
problems, but can the site-wide password be set dynamically based on
conditions in PHP?

if ($group == 'ThisGroup')
   $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = 'xyz';
else
   $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = 'MuchMoreSecret';

If that is allowed, would it cause problems to switch back and forth
from authuser to the default password-only authentication similarly?

if ($group == 'ThisGroup')
   $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = 'xyz';
else
   include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");

I can test these myself, but I have no idea what type of special
conditions might cause problems so I'm hoping someone tell me before I
spend a lot of time ...

-Peter