[pmwiki-users] PmWiki <-> mailing list integration

Eemeli Aro eemeli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 08:50:01 CDT 2009

I've put together a couple of cookbook scripts for integrating PmWiki
with Enemies of Carlotta (a simple mailing list manager,
<http://liw.iki.fi/liw/eoc/index.html>) and MHonArc (a mail-to-HTML
converter, <http://www.mhonarc.org/>).

The way membership maintenance works is by having a pagelist template
that gives me a set of email addresses from profile pages. How the
email addresses end up there is a whole other issue (I'm using yet
another custom script that I might get around to releasing at some
point). That pagelist is processed every time a page in the Profiles
group is posted, at which point the EoC mailing list member files are
updated. I'm using different PTV filters to maintain half a dozen
mailing lists this way.

This means that mailing list membership maintenance is a side product
of maintaining contact details on the website, which is rather nice.
The reason for using EoC is its simplicity and independence from any
other packages -- even the subscribers list is a plaintext file.

For the web interface to the list archives, I'm using MHonArc to
convert the messages to HTML files and a PmWiki PHP wrapper that keeps
the archives up to date and can be accessed using (:mhonarc-...:)
markup directives. This part isn't at all dependent on the previous,
as MHonArc will read most types of mailing list archives.

As this is a bit specific, I haven't (yet) added these to pmwiki.org.
Still, anyone interested in a copy?

eemeli