[pmwiki-users] TextExtract (Search recipe) update

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Fri Sep 11 07:00:53 CDT 2009

Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 9:46:49 PM, ABClf wrote:

> KWIC format is mostly used for showing what's next to the searched
> pattern ; its purpose is to print in a convenient way the words that enclose the queried pattern.
> Usually using a fixed size font, colouring or spacing the targeted
> word more than normal, X glyphs before and X glyphs after (glyphs or words, no matter).
> (For a real one : http://www.someya-net.com/concordancer/index.html)

> This is a visualisation tool and a search program, not as generic
> as Oliver mentioned in his post (How hard would it be to define the
> extent of the extract not in paragraphs or lines but in words?)
> I permit to ask in case you would create a new word excerpt unit ;
> then, would it be possible as an option to show and style the result
> in a kwic format (i.e. the pattern highlighted –that's already done–
> and centred, idealy with fixed size font) ?

> Nothing more than a suggestion,

Suggestions are always welcome!

In order to implement this it would need another mode of extracting
just the visible text, without any markups, becuase cutting out text
using word boundaries and counts would otherwise seriously mess up
markup in the source.

So right now I am not sure if this feature can or will be added.

  ~Hans