[pmwiki-users] Another approach to section editing

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Mon Aug 9 12:52:36 CDT 2010

On Saturday 07 August 2010 16:51:51, Randy Brown wrote :
>  Does anyone else think that the ability to have integrated section
>  editing would be a great enhancement to PmWiki? Take a look at my

Hello. Section editing is one of the most frequently used features for example
in MediaWiki (Wikipedia), so yes, for long pages, it could be a great
enhancement to PmWiki. Unfortunately, simultanious edits is not an easy thing
to handle -- for example, if you edit a section, and in that time another
editor reorganizes the page (refactoring, permutation of sections). This is
complex, could go wrong on many places, and requires a lot of thinking and
work, so for the moment it is on our "some day" wish list. :-)

>  envisioned edit form below, and think how friendly that would be for
>  authors who don't know much markup! I think one of the biggest impediments
>  to PmWiki's wider adoption is the knowledge that it demands of authors.
> Editing MyPage
> Section: All TITLE Section1 Section2 Section3

> I am the page's title - change me

There is also the recipe EditAttributes -- it can handle page title,
description, and even predefined PageTextVariables in separate edit fields
(some configuration will be needed) :

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/EditAttributes

Thanks,
Petko