[pmwiki-users] Skipping Edit and using Fox.

Mark Bacas mbacas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 21:42:25 CST 2010

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the information. I think I'm having a problem seeing the
forest for the trees. :)

I have done a lot of reading of the various form systems and how to
implement them.

I have been looking at your "Contact" system and trying to work
backwards from that.

I think the fundamental thing I was missing was to have a form and
create a page from there. Where I was trying to create a new page with
a blank form from a template with an embedded form.

I think I'm almost there, but I'm still not sure.

I think this might be throwing me off a little where it says it's
going to create a new page based on a template:

==================================
Example for creating serial pages with Fox

The following form will display just a button. When clicked the form
will create a new serial page in group ToDo using the Name part prefix
of Jack-, basing the new page on a template page Site.ToDoTemplate.
The user will be redirected to the new page.

(:messages:)
(:fox newtodo template=Site.ToDoTemplate redirect=1:)
(:input hidden target '{$$(serialname ToDo Jack- )}':)
(:input submit post "Create New ToDo Page":)
(:foxend newtodo:)

Note that the serialname expression is enclosed in hyphens, and that
it is used here as a replacement variable {$$(serialname ...)} and not
as a normal markup expression {(serialname ....)}. Normally markup
expressions will be evaluated when the page is loaded, whereas the
expression written as a replacement variable will only be evaluated
when the form is processed, thereby overcoming possible conflicts of
page names if another user is creating a page at about the same time.
==================================

I want to setup a GTD (task list/project management) system. I have a
very good start with a "dashboard" page that has all the information
listed as I want using various pagelists (below).
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/114991/wiki.jpg

However, perhaps you could advise me in the best way to get the form
side of things going.

I want to create a form/template that creates a new page for each
entry using the "newticket" function of powertools. So I'm guessing
that needs to start something like:

(:foxmessages:)
(:fox newgtd template=Template.GTDTemplate redirect=1:)
(:input hidden target '{$$(newticket)}':)

Instead of having this ("'''New Entry: '''[[{(newticket GTD)}]]") on
my dashboard page I'd like to have a button that I click that takes me
to a form that I fill out that when submitted creates a page something
like GTD.20100301003, and takes me to that page with the exact same
form I filled out with the information in place or maybe take me back
to my dashboard page where the information may or may not be displayed
depending on pagelist criteria. (Well it will be in one list where I
just show all GTD pages at the bottom).

So some actual questions:
1. Should I create something like GTD/NewGTD like you have for "NewContact"?

2. Something like this in the template (appears to work for the
newticket process:
(:foxmessages:)
(:fox contactform target='{$$(newticket)}' put=top ptvupdate=1
template=ContactTemplates#new redirect=1:)
(:input defaults source={$EditSource} :)

3. Is there an easy way to have the new page use the same form as the
"NewGTD" template?

The fields I want to have in my form are:
Start Date,
Due Date,
Completion Date,
Priority,
Summary,
Status (which will have a predefined selections of "open, closed,
active, suspended, closed" and perhaps there's a good way to handle
that),
Type (here I'm using "next" or "project", but maybe other stuff in the future),
Context,
Contact,
Company,
Info,
ID,
Notes,
Solution.

Also, from my dashboard, I'd like to be able to click on the page and
bring up and edit the form, but I think that will work fine.

Actually after typing all this I think I may be able to get what I'm
looking for. Going to go and mess with the "Contacts" system a little
more.

=======================================

'''New Entry: '''[[{(newticket GTD)}]]

%purple%'''Open Developer Support Issues'''
(:pagelist fmt=#GTDlist order=-time
group=GTD.2010*,-GTD.GTD,-GTD.RecentChanges $:context=dev,
$:status=open:)

%green%'''Open Partner Portal Issues'''
(:pagelist fmt=#GTDlist order=-time
group=GTD.2010*,-GTD.GTD,-GTD.RecentChanges $:status=open,
$:status=-closed, $:context=partner:)

%navy%'''Open Developer Portal Issues'''
(:pagelist fmt=#GTDlist order=-time
group=GTD.2010*,-GTD.GTD,-GTD.RecentChanges $:status=open,
$:status=-closed, $:context=devport:)

%red%'''Open ECRs'''
(:pagelist fmt=#GTDlist order=$:ID
group=GTD.2010*,-GTD.GTD,-GTD.RecentChanges $:status=open,
$:status=-closed, $:context=ecr:)

%maroon%'''Open Catalog and Price List Issues'''
(:pagelist fmt=#GTDlist order=-time
group=GTD.2010*,-GTD.GTD,-GTD.RecentChanges $:status=open,
$:status=-closed, $:context=catalog:)

'''Pending Status Entries'''
(:pagelist fmt=#GTDlist order=-time
group=GTD.2010*,-GTD.GTD,-GTD.RecentChanges $:status=pending:)

'''Open Status Entries - Oldest First'''
(:pagelist fmt=#GTDlist order=name
group=GTD.2010*,-GTD.GTD,-GTD.RecentChanges $:status=open,
$:status=-closed:)

'''Closed Status Entries'''
(:pagelist fmt=#GTDlist order=-time
group=GTD.2010*,-GTD.GTD,-GTD.RecentChanges $:status=-open,
$:status=closed:)

'''Archives:''' [[2010-02]]

[[InBox]]  |  [[Projects]]  |  [[NextActions]]  |  [[Context]]

(:notitle:)
(:noleft:)
(:refresh 300:)

Below is from my Site/LocalTemplate used in the page above.
=======================================
[[#GTDlist]]
(:if equal {<$Group}:)
(:table class=jlist align=center width="98%" :)
(:cell style="background:#e5e5ff;padding-left:5px" :)'''Entry'''&nbsp;
(:cell style="background:#e5e5ff;padding-left:5px" :)'''Summary'''&nbsp;
(:cell style="background:#e5e5ff;padding-left:5px" :)'''Status'''&nbsp;
(:cell style="background:#e5e5ff;padding-left:5px" :)'''Type'''&nbsp;
(:cell style="background:#e5e5ff;padding-left:5px" :)'''ID'''&nbsp;(:if:)
(:cellnr style="background:#eeeeff;padding-left:5px"
:)'''[[{=$FullName}|+]]'''&nbsp;
(:cell style="background:#eeeeff;padding-left:5px"
:){{=$FullName}$:summary}&nbsp;
(:cell style="background:#eeeeff;padding-left:5px"
:){{=$FullName}$:status}&nbsp;
(:cell style="background:#eeeeff;padding-left:5px" :){{=$FullName}$:type}&nbsp;
(:cell style="background:#eeeeff;padding-left:5px" :){{=$FullName}$:ID}&nbsp;
(:if equal {>$Group}:)
(:tableend:)(:if:)
[[#GTDlistend]]

Thanks again Hans,

 - Mark

Perhaps when I've got things figured out I'll write up a cookbook.