[pmwiki-users] Fox Contacts Search

Vince Administration vadmin at math.uconn.edu
Wed Mar 31 12:05:14 CDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:39 AM, Hans wrote:

> Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 1:14:50 PM, Vince Administration wrote:
>
>> The contacts, and my application of it, is working very well.  But here is a question.
>> Is it possible to easily construct a search form that is
>> essentially the new contact form, where the user would fill in the
>> fields that he/she wished to search for, for example
>> those on Maple Street, or those with first name Joe and address
>> containing a 164.  What I would really like is a form that looks
>> like the new contact form, but does a search with the values that are filled in.
>> If it cannot be done simply, then I will use another approach.
>
> Fox is not a search engine. You would need to use
> PmWiki's pagelist capabilities.
>
> What could work is a searchbox directive for every field, and set up
> each with the appropiate parameters to search the group and the
> specific PTV.
>
> What does not work is combining a search for different values in
> different PTVs, like searching for first name 'Joe' and address line
> 1 containing '164'. You could search for 'Joe', but no combination of
> PTV values.
>
> I am not aware that a recipe can do that, maybe there is one.

Hans, Thanks for your reply, and the others also.  Sorry that I was not more specific.  The idea that I had was to use a Fox form to fill in the
parameters of a pagelist command. Similar to the reply of Edwin Marte;
(:pagelist group=targegroup $:streetPTV={$streetsearch} $:namePTV={$namesearch} fmt=#yourtemplate:)
Now lets modify this a bit, adding a search for the note:

(:pagelist group=targegroup $:streetPTV={$streetsearch} $:namePTV={$namesearch} $:notePTV={$notesearch} fmt=#yourtemplate:)
I can  modify the syntax here so that the form will fill in (i.e. substitute ) from the form. The problem is that if  one of the criteria is NOT filled in in the form, I would
like the page list to ignore it.  Or I would like to be able to check that  the entry was not filled in.  So now typing before thinking, the form should have defaults of  "?*" ,
and some reasonable way of putting in "-?*"

The easy way, of course, is to have a several different  forms, depending on what is desired.  It is just not as pretty.
     Vince