[pmwiki-users] What attachment operations do you want or need?

SteP step.list+pmwiki at gmail.com
Thu May 6 03:49:14 CDT 2010

I would like a way to upload - and markup - images without being aware of their underlying file type.

I real pmwikis I see some non-technical Windows users being unaware of what jpg or png or gif file
extensions, and their implications. So those users remove or misscopy the file name extensions when
writing the Attach markup, and when specifying the upload target name. The end result is that the image
link is broken.

Improved image attachment handling should be flexibly enough to understand that
Attach:FileNameNoExtension really means Attach:FileNameNoExtension really means
Attach:FileNameNoExtension.CorrectExtension, fill in the correct extension and act accordingly when the
upload dialog takes place (including the unfortunate case where the user insists in mungling the file name
extension).

A single (non-technical, fixed) pseudo-extension would be acceptable - maybe even preferrable - if that
simplifies implementation, something like
Attach:FileNameNoExtension. at SPECIAL@
or maybe AttachSPECIAL:FileNameNoExtension?

It would be convenient to tell non-technical users, "Just write Attach...SPECIAL and it will work".